Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)
Leader Theatre in the Odd Fellows building on Virginia Avenue had undergone extensive improvements in preparation for the beginning of up-to-date vaudeville shows. By October 1, a large stage had been added and a carload of beautiful scenery had been installed. The stage was illuminated with electric lights which spread a glowing effect and with the addition of daily vaudeville acts it would be a boon to theatregoers of the South End. On February 27, 1917, plans were underway for the building of a new theatre on Virginia Avenue, and work began not later than March 1. The new and commodious building replaced the old Star Theatre which had been run for several years as a moving picture house. The new theatre was to be a handsome two story structure with elevated floor and gallery and have a seating capacity of two thousand people. It would also have a stage large enough to take care of any company. Charles H. and Frank L. Fisher, proprietors of the Liberty, Belvedere and Star Theatres, were promoters of the new playhouse.
On August 28, 1917, Howard Chaney and A. P. Caldwell, proprietors of the Diamond Bowling Alleys at 215 Virginia Avenue, were awarded a contract for the erection of a two story fireproof building on the vacant lot near the Odd Fellows Hall on Virginia Avenue. The structure, with a large basement, would be finished for a storeroom. The second floor would be occupied by Chaney and Caldwell for the Diamond Bowling Alleys while the third floor would be used for amusement purposes and a convention hall. The contract called for the building to be ready for occupancy by December 1, 1917.
On April 22, 1924, the New Theatre on Virginia Avenue was showing Mack Sennett's big production in seven parts, "A Small Town Idol," with Ben Turpin, Charlie Murray, Phyllis Haver and Marie provost. Prices were ten
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976