Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)


Virginia Avenue Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



and fifteen cents.

On March 1, 1923, the lease and fixtures of the Leader Theatre on Virginia Avenue were purchased from the owner and manager, C. A. Feeser, by H. Ray Shertzer for $5,000. The theatre was closed fourteen days in order to make repairs and alterations.

On July 14, 1923, the Evans Brothers of Lonaconing, who operated several moving picture houses at Lonaconing, Piedmont and Frederick, and Lloyd Liniger of Piedmont, purchased two moving picture houses, the New Theatre and the Leader Theatre, both on Virginia Avenue. The amount of purchase involved was said to be near $50,000. The New Theatre was sold by the Fisher Brothers and the Leader Theatre by Raymond Shertzer.

On November 11, 1924, a bazaar at the Y.M.I. Hall on Virginia Avenue featured music by Monty Eyler's Orchestra. Dancing was from 8:30 to 12:00 PM, with the public invited.

On October 13, 1925, the Leader Theatre on Virginia Avenue put on six big novelty acts on November 3 and 4, presented by Peggy Dalbaugh, the crippled wonder, and his company. Mrs. Clara Fisher was the pianist. Beckwith and Damm, the two dancing fools, Pop Warner's Jazz Baby Quartette, the Kuhn's Brothers String Entertainers, Queenie, the eight year old toe and jazz dancer, and Orphan Bill, a comedian, performed. Also, moving pictures were shown. Adults paid forty cents and children, twenty cents.

The Lloyd Theatre operated in 1927. Spriggy Lloyd was proprietor. The Light Cinema at 308 Virginia Avenue opened April 9, 1975.

On January 20, 1902, the Silver Leaf Dancing Club was organized in South Cumberland with about thirty members. The headquarters of the club was at Robert's Hall, later




ID:
achm391

Page #:
391

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image