Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)


Virginia Avenue Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



the Y.M.I. Hall, on Virginia Avenue between Second and Third Streets. Tuesday night dances were regularly held on the third floor. On July 20, 1911, the frame house at the corner of Virginia Avenue and First Street was torn down. This building was a landmark and the last building of those used by the Cumberland Agricultural Association for County Fair purposes back in the 1870's. The Daily News of August 29, 1912, announced the greatest attraction in South Cumberland the following week would be the racetrack. The promoters of the race course program announced they would begin a temporary grading and repairing of Virginia Avenue Extended that morning. Virginia Avenue Extended was that portion of the main thoroughfare which lay below the B&O Railroad crossing and therefore outside the city limits. Virginia Avenue as far as the B&O Railroad crossing was in the city limits and was paved with brick. The racetrack promoters decided to grade and round up the highway from the B&O Railroad down to the racetrack and place it in as good condition for all sorts of vehicles as it was possible to do without extraordinary expense. On July 27, 1927, a dance by the B&O Shops Band was held at Dreamland Hall on Virginia Avenue in South Cumberland. Admission for ladies was twenty-five cents, and for gentlemen, seventy-five cents. Bill Hoffman's Band furnished the music. "Nuf Sed." On December 18, 1927, it was announced that the Dreamland Hall would be converted into the Cosy Theatre with popular screen attractions. Thomas W. Lloyd, proprietor of the former Chaney-Caldwell building at 223 Virginia Avenue, planned to remodel and transform the Dreamland Hall on the second floor of that building into a theatre with a seating capacity of 350 people.



ID:
achm392

Page #:
392

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image