Cumberland, Maryland (Ku Klux Klan in Cumberland)
effect that a class initiation had been held near the city and that from three hundred to five hundred had been added to the Klan's roster. As to what the demonstration of last Saturday evening meant, no one knew.
On Saturday night, April 8, 1922, four men dressed apparently in the disguise of the Ku Klux Klan were riding rapidly through the streets in an automobile. The license tag numbers were concealed. Complaint was made to the police that this was a direct violation of the automobile law. It was not known whether the riders were members of the Klan or wags using the uniform of the Klan. Three members of the Ku Klux Klan, in their regalia, paid a visit to the meeting of the Salvation Army at their building at 77 North Mechanic Street Saturday night. Though only three men were in robes, they were accompanied by a large delegation. The committee went into the hall, walked up to Commandant Woods and presented him with a package which, on being opened, was found to contain a letter expressing their appreciation of the work of the Salvation Army and also fifty dollars. The delegation left immediately. Needless to say, the audience was taken by surprise, but the officials of the Salvation Army had been notified earlier in the day that the Ku Klux Klan was contemplating paying them a visit.
On Saturday afternoon and night, May 17, 1924, Fort Cumberland Klan No. 37, Ku Klux Klan, planned several sessions which included ceremonies of their Order and a flag raising at their rooms in the Odd Fellows building on South Mechanic Street, of which the upper two floors were utilized as Ku Klux Klan headquarters. A parade followed and the initiation of a large body of men into the Klanship took place. Imperial Wizard H. W. Evans, Grand Dragon of Maryland, and other Grand Officers were to be there. Also, representatives
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976