Cumberland, Maryland (Ku Klux Klan in Cumberland)
Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia held an outing at the Wolfe farm on the Baltimore Pike and in the evening between 6:50 and 7:00 PM, Klansmen and about one hundred women paraded through the city. After the parade they returned to the Wolfe farm, where addresses were made and a display of fireworks set off. The parade formed on Bedford Street, went to Baltimore Street and out Decatur Street. It was headed by officers of the organization on horseback, and by the Patriotic Order Sons of America band. A drill team executed formations on Baltimore Street. The Klansmen were not masked while in the parade.
Women were interested in the Klan, as a picture of the Cumberland delegation, taken at the Washington, D.C., Konclave in 1925, shows four women in white gowns with white headdress carrying a banner saying, "Tri-K-Klub, Cumberland, Maryland." Another picture shows three men with a fez on their heads with a banner, "O.O.H, and P. Salem Sanatorium, Cumberland, Maryland. We Never Sleep."
From 1924 to 1930 the headquarters and meeting hall for the Fort Cumberland Klan No. 37 was at 12 South Mechanic Street in the Odd Fellows Temple. Also listed in the Temple were the Ladies and Knights.
On Saturday night, December 21, 1924 at about eight o'clock, garbed in the regalia of the Ku Klux Klan, five men appeared at the Allegany County Tuberculosis Sanitarium, and after calling Walter J. Cooper, the superintendent, outside they presented him with an envelope containing five twenty dollar gold pieces for use at the Sanitarium. Superintendent Cooper stated that someone had called him on the telephone at about 7:30 PM informing him that some friends would be there in a few minutes. In less than a
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976