Cumberland, Maryland (Ku Klux Klan in Cumberland)
half an hour, the men drove up in an automobile and made the presentation in a spot where no lights could shine upon them. Stating that they wished the donation would be of some benefit and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, the visitors departed as unceremoniously as they arrived.
In the 1925 Cumberland City Directory, there is a listing for the "Klu Klux Klan, Fort Cumberland Chapter No. 37, Jas. W. Webster, E.C., 12 South Mechanic Street."
On August 8, 1925, a special Baltimore and Ohio train for the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Washington D. C. left the Queen City Station at 8:15 AM bearing the Fort Cumberland Klan No. 37. The train consisted of eleven coaches and a baggage car. It was pulled by locomotive No. 5218. This engine had been used for the Capitol Limited. The engine drawing the special train from here was decorated with a picture of a small red school house on the front, with a red cross with the letters "KKK" on it above the picture. On the side of both cylinders was the Klan insignia and on each head was an American flag. Flags and buntings were streamered from the sides of the engine and on the tender sides were large letters "K." The coaches were likewise decorated, all by the local B&O shopmen. On the last coach was a large electrically lighted cross of red, flanked by American flags and bearing the three K's. The motto of the Klan, "For others, not for self," was on the cylinder head decorations. It was said that about one thousand Klansmen were on the special train. At this time, a total of 6,050 Klansmen traveled east over the Cumberland Division to Washington. Special trains came from Wheeling Parkersburg, McKeesport, Johnstown, two trains from Pittsburgh, and two from Cleveland, Ohio. A picture shows the decorated train. Standing by the
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976