Cumberland, Maryland (Clubs, Taverns and Saloons)
listed 42 saloons in Cumberland, of which eleven were on Baltimore Street, and six in "Shanty Town" near the C&O Canal.
In 1890 there were 55 saloons in the City. Of these, sixteen were on Baltimore Street. The rest were on the West Side, in North Cumberland, Shanty Town, and in South Cumberland.
In 1902, 89 saloons were in existence. For the first time Black saloon keepers were listed. As such, there were five one in Shanty Town, two on Bedford Street, and two on North Mechanic Street. Of the 89 saloons, thirteen were on Baltimore Street. Five women were listed as saloon keepers. Seventeen saloons were located in South Cumberland. By that time the B&O Railroad shops had moved to South Cumberland.
In 1905, after three years, Cumberland had gained one saloon, making a total of 90 saloons in Cumberland.
In 1909 there were 99 saloons listed in the City Directory.
In any of the above listings, the number of saloons does not include hotels which mostly had a bar and served liquors. Twenty-two of these were in South Cumberland, seventeen were on Baltimore Street, and six were in "Shanty Town."
From January, 1920, when the country went dry, until 1933 when the Prohibition Act was repealed, no saloon license was sold. But there was no problem in obtaining liquor. There were probably more places to get whiskey when the country was dry than ever before.
A lot of the saloons under legal license before and after Prohibition were neighborhood places where, with few exceptions, women were not allowed.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976