Cumberland, Maryland (Prohibition Era)
Cumberland. Mr. Longerbeam stated he would open the Six Mile House on the National Pike West as a road house of pretentious service.
On June 2, 1920, six months after the prohibition act became law, the Cumberland City Police, led by Chief of Police Oscar A. Eyerman with Patrolmen Soyster and Wilson along, raided the Vimy Restaurant and an apartment on the second floor of the building. Two moonshine stills, having a combined capacity of seventeen gallons, were found in a room that had been used as a kitchen on the second floor. The Vimy Restaurant had long been a source of trouble for the local police and it was suspected that whiskey was either being sold outright in one of the rooms adjoining the restaurant, or else being made somewhere on the premises. The police chief decided once and for all that the local police department would get the inside story of the numerous fights that had kept them busy running to the Vimy during the past year. Confiscated in the raid, besides the stills, were also six barrels of mash, four gallons of moonshine whiskey, and several large funnels. Two bottles of tincture of ginger containing 90% alcohol were also found. Elmer Dumar and his wife, Jennie, Jacob Pugh, a bartender, Claude W. Reed, night bartender, and James Cosner, another employee of the restaurant, were arrested at 9:30 PM. On June 16, 1920, city police found complete equipment, with ingredients for distilling, at 93 Baltimore Avenue, with only the still and condenser missing. Henry Eugene Drummond, a structural ironworker lately employed at the Kelly-Springfield Tire Plant, was arrested. Forty-two quarts of bonded large whiskey were found on the first floor. The moonshine outfit was in a back room on the second floor. It included two copper wash boilers, four boxes of peaches, three boxes of raisins, one box of prunes, eighteen ten
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976