Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Prohibition Era)


Prohibition Era Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



pound cans of corn syrup, two barrels of empty syrup cans, a ten gallon jar for mixing mash, two copper funnels with filter paper and charcoal, two rubber siphons, pieces of lead pipe, wrenches, fittings and a two burner oil stove. The raid was conducted by Police Chief Eyerman, Assistant Chief Minnicks, Patrolman Johnson and motorcycle officer Zimmerly.

On July 22, 1920, the Cumberland Brewing Company advertised Fort Cumberland Beverage, a non-alcoholic drink known as "near beer." The Queen City Brewing Company, formerly the German Brewing Company, had a similar drink called "Queeno." In anticipation of increased sales for soft drinks after the dry law went into effect, the Whistle, formerly Reinhard, Bottling Company at 26 Green Street invited the public to visit them on the night of February 7, 1921 to inspect their new bottling plant which had just been completed. They planned to bottle Whistle, Greenriver, Hire's Root Beer, and other soft drinks. On April 21, 1921, the Ver-Vac Bottling Company at 172-176 Wineow Street placed on sale a tempting beverage called "Ver-Vac" at all counters where soft drinks were sold.

On May 7, 1921, the entire capital stock of the James Clark Distilling Company, carrying with it the ownership and control of the Braddock Distillery, its four bonded warehouses, and a tract of ground having a frontage of 1,800 feet along the National Pike, was sold. The purchase was made by B. N. Neaman of Pittsburgh representing other capitalists of the Smoky City. Stored in the bonded warehouses were more than three thousand barrels of Braddock Whiskey, which would be bottled and disposed of under government supervision for medicinal use.

On July 22, 1921, an advertisement appeared in a local newspaper:




ID:
achm279

Page #:
279

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image