Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Cumberland, Maryland (Prohibition Era)

Prohibition Era Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


liquor sold. He was questioned about the garage and who was the owner. Both Himmler brothers at intervals called attention to the fact that they had "to work overtime" some times on jobs, thus explaining their being in the shop at night. The accused were defended by J. Philip Roman and Arch A. Young.

On November 7, 1924, police again raided the "Canned Heat Camp" and took thirteen prisoners, all of whom were held in the police station for a hearing the following afternoon. Some of them were in such a helpless condition that they had to be carried to the patrol wagon. Two trips were made to haul all of the men, the officers working from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM. The men were all gathered around a camp on an island in the Potomac River across from the N and G Taylor Tin Plate Mill. Around them were scattered scores of empty "canned heat" cans. Five full cans found near the fire were taken to headquarters. Some of the thirteen arrested were previous offenders. According to the police, they bought the "canned heat" for a few cents and after melting it ran the liquid through a loaf of bread, which absorbed most of the poison. One drink of the resulting liquid knocked a man out for hours, police said. The cans were plainly labeled "poison wood alcohol" but in spite of that some of the men arrested time after time during police raids had been drinking the stuff for several years. The raid was conducted by Assistant Chief of Police J. P. Minnicks and Officers Smallwood, Young, Leo, Daniels, Schute and Youngblood.

On the morning of November 11, 1924, the Himmler garage on Bow Street near the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad viaduct, known to the police and federal officers as "The Old Homestead," of which Edward Himmler was


Page #:

Miller, Herman J.

Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland


Collection Location:

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Stegmaier, Harry

Cumberland (Md.), history

Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image