Cumberland, Maryland (Prohibition Era)
bout six miles west of Cumberland on the National Highway. Sheriff William R. Harvey raided the inn on a warrant charging disorderly conduct. On July 30, 1928, Wagus pleaded guilty to a charge of possession of liquor when arraigned before Commissioner Anderson. James Crichton, his alleged bartender, pleaded not guilty. Both were held under $500 bond.
On August 20, 1928, the City Council granted a soft drink license to William J. Schupfer, 305 North Centre Street, over the protest of Mayor Koon and Police Commissioner H. L. Blye. Schupfer’s application for a license had been rejected about a month previously. The license was granted by a three-to-two vote of the council.
On August 24, 1927, workmen started razing the one story brick building fronting on North Mechanic Street and extending back one hundred feet on Frederick Street. The building housed the "Orphan Annie" café, so called by prohibition agents who raided the place several times without discovering who operated the establishment.
On August 21, 1928, federal enforcement officers seized 200 gallons of rye liquor, twenty barrels of mash, a number of empty barrels, seventy-five small kegs, and a 250 gallon still in operation on Valley Street in the building formerly known as the Beck Brewery property.
The still was found in the old frame annex of the building, and the officers believed it had been in operation for some time. No arrests were made. Sheriff William R. Harvey, former prohibition agent, and Deputy James McGregor guarded the premises while the enforcement officers dismantled the still and destroyed the kegs, mash and other brewing equipment. The officers declared that the mash was hauled to the piggery on Valley Road where it was dried and fed to the hogs and
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976