Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Cumberland, Maryland (Prohibition Era)

Prohibition Era Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


the officers reported that they found a 50 gallon still, twenty barrels of mash, fifteen gallons of alleged liquor, and twenty gallons of home brew at the house. Archella gave his name as Frank Rosella. He has served two terms for violations of the Volstead Act, the officers said.

On April 17, 1929, a class of fifteen was admitted to United States Citizenship following hearings on nearly a score of petitions for naturalization before Judge Albert A. Doub in Circuit Court. Several applicants had their petitions continued because of lack of knowledge of government and inability to speak English. One applicant was rejected after admitting that he served a jail sentence in 1925 for operating a still.

Many whiskey stills exploded and caused fires in Cumberland. On January 3, 1921, the origin of the fire that took place at about 8:30 PM in the rear of the Diamond Products Company, 17 Front Street, was attributed to an overheated still by the firemen who responded to the call. Up to a late hour that evening, no further information had been learned relative to those implicated in its operation.

On May 12, 1924, a fire of undetermined origin damaged the rear of a building at 319 Springdale Street owned by Robert Maltby shortly after 10:00 PM. The building adjoined Maltby’s soft drink establishment and was occupied by three families. Five gallons of moonshine, four barrels of cider, and several tin containers filled with alcohol were found in the room in which the fire started. Federal enforcement officer George W. Hawkins destroyed the illicit liquor after securing samples for evidence. According to Maltby, the room was rented to a man named “Fulton” and he was unaware of the fact that the place was used as a store room for contraband liquor.


Page #:

Miller, Herman J.

Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland


Collection Location:

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Stegmaier, Harry

Cumberland (Md.), history

Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image