Cumberland, Maryland (Local military forces)
Company G of Cumberland of the Maryland National Guard was called into the Federal Service for duty on the Mexican Border. Company G left from Laurel, Maryland, which was the state mobilization camp, on June 29, 1916, for Eagle Pass, Texas. After arrival there, Company G participated in active work on border patrol duty at international bridges and outposts along the Rio Grande, and at Blocker's Ranch. After fulfilling its mission on the border, the First Regiment returned to Baltimore and was mustered out of the United States Army on November 4, 1916, and Company G returned to Cumberland. Commanding officers of Company G at that time were Captain Thomas R. Palmer, First Lieutenant C. W. Start, Second Lieutenant W. J. Feaga, First Sergeant Harry C. Clark, and Supply Sergeant R. C. Portmess.
On July 19, 1917, Captain William A. Huster, commanding Company G of the First Infantry, Maryland National Guard, received orders from Adjutant General Charles D. Gaither to assemble his company for camp on July 2 5, 1917. The company was to assemble at the Armory in the Schwarzenbach building, 153 Baltimore Street, now the Holiday Inn parking lot at 9:00 AM on Wednesday, July 2 5, 1917, and march to Camp Reckord on Camp Hill, now the site of Allegany High School.
At 12:50 PM on September 10, 1917, Company G, First Maryland Infantry, left by train from the Western Maryland Railroad Station to go to Camp Fort McClellan, at Anniston, Alabama. The local newspaper headline stated: "Company G Today Went to War". As the train departed it was a solemn scene as mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, wives and sweethearts, with faint smiles and tearful eyes, crowded onto the tracks and solemnly waved at the soldiers until the train was lost in the distance. After a time of training at Fort McClellan,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976