Cumberland, Maryland (Local military forces)
Company G men were transferred to other companies and sent to Camp Meade, Maryland, from where a great number went overseas to take part in the war.
Commanding Company G at the time of Camp Reckord on Camp Hill were Captain William A. Huster, First Lieutenant George Henderson, Second Lieutenant Hume O. Annan, First Sergeant Harry C. Clark, and Supply Sergeant Robert C. Portmess. Company G at this time had an enrollment of 160 officers and men. First Sergeant Harry C. Clark was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for extreme bravery in face of great danger. Sergeant Clark killed twelve Germans while on a sniper's post in the fierce fighting at the Bois de Montaigne in France.
Early in 1941, during World War II, Company G, Maryland National Guard, was called into Federal service. It was in training in the State Armory on South Centre Street. Other military units in Cumberland during the time of World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars were the U.S. Marine Reserve, Army Reserve, and the Naval Reserve. The most men to report for duty during the above wars was through the selective service or draft. Company G, Maryland National Guard, at the time of being inducted into the Federal service, was commanded by Captain Randolph Millholland. Second Lieutenants were John C. Golden, Robert Matlick, John F. Knieriem, Howard Dickey, Melvin Rice, Carl Senkbeil, and Edgar Teter. After being sworn into Federal service, the local militia companies became Company G, the One Hundred and Fifteenth Infantry, Rifle of the Twenty-Ninth Division, also known as the "Blue and Gray" Division. The company left for Fort George G. Meade, Maryland.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976