Cumberland, Maryland (Local military forces)
the site of Bernstein's Furniture Store. This building was razed by fire on June 15, 1899. After the fire, the armory (1904) was at 33 Baltimore Street in the building housing the Coyle Furniture Store.
On March 23, 1903, a move was on foot to organize a company of Guardsmen in Cumberland. The local militia company had disbanded some time between 1899 and 1903.
On July 9, 1903, Company A, First Regiment, Maryland National Guard, left for training at the State encampment at Belair, Maryland. The Captain was J. Harry Ullrich, First Lieutenant Harry J. Schley, and the First Sergeant James G. Farmer. The company had two officers and 49 men.
In 1914, at the time of mobilization for Mexican Border service, the Armory was at the Odd Fellows Building on South Mechanic Street and in the Schwarzenbach Building, 153 Baltimore Street.
On April 6, 1910, Company G of the First Infantry was again formed and had its armory on North Mechanic Street in Cumberland. Elected officers were Walter T. Crawford, First Lieutenant, and Charles W. Stark, Second Lieutenant. On June 6 through June 10, 1910, Company G went to Saunders Range, Glen Burnie, Maryland, for target practice.
On May 12, 1914, Company G elected officers in their armory on South Mechanic Street, now the Odd Fellows Building. Charles W. Stark was elected First Lieutenant and Richard P. McCardell, Second Lieutenant.
On January 3, 1917, Captain Thomas R. Palmer, commanding Company G, Maryland National Guard, resigned to take effect immediately. First Lieutenant Stark and Second Lieutenant William J. Feaga had full command of the
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976