Cumberland, Maryland (Local military forces)
Ritchie, Cascade, Maryland (Bunea Vista), near Pen Mar Park. In December, 1932, officers of Company G were Captain Harry E. Flook, First Lieutenant Abraham W. Miller, and Second Lieutenant Randolph Millholland. By February, 1941, Randolph Millholland was Captain of Company G, with no first lieutenant but with five second lieutenants.
After Company G was re-organized after its return from World War II, Robert C. Matlick was Captain and in command of the company.
During 1881, Company C trained at Frederick Fair Grounds, Frederick, Maryland. Other sites of training and maneuvers were, Company C of the Maryland National Guard at Camp Wilmer, Pimlico, Maryland in 1898, and Camp Meade, Pennsylvania; Company G at Laurel, Maryland in 1916, and at Camp Reckord (Camp Hill), and Camp Fort McClellan at Anniston, Alabama, and Camp Fort George Meade, Maryland in 1917.
The Maryland National Guard is now housed in a newer armory built in March, 1960, on Brown Avenue on the West Side of Cumberland near the Dingle. It houses Company B, 121st Engineers. Officers are Captain Donald Smith, four lieutenants and 112 enlisted men. Drill is one week per month. Fifteen days annual training has been held at A. P. Hill, Virginia, and Camp Picket, Virginia.
3. When was the local naval reserve begun? What is its history from the time it was founded?
The local Naval Reserve began in October, 1946, under command of Commander Walter Hedrick. Drills and training were held in the basement of the United States Post Office on Pershing Street, and in the gymnasium of Fort Hill High School. The present Naval Reserve Center was opened in 1948. The
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976