Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)
THE BLACK POPULATION OF CUMBERLAND
On September 17, 1870, the census statistics of Cumberland were released. The total population was 10,640. The Black population was 690.
The Western Maryland Band, composed of Blacks, gave an art entertainment and carnival at their room on Baltimore Street which ran for three evenings beginning March 22, 1887.
On May 27, 1887, Captain Fred Burgee attended to decorating the graves of Black veterans in the Black cemetery and those buried in other cemeteries. This was to be completed before Memorial Day.
On August 13, 1887, the Allegany County Guards of Cumberland, one of the three Black militia companies of Maryland, went into camp at the Frederick, Maryland fairgrounds. The local company was commanded by Captain Frederick Burgee.
On August 23, 1887, a complete list of the Maryland National Guard included the Allegany County Guards, Captain Frederick Burgee, First Lieutenant John W. Howard, and Second Lieutenant George Cooper.
On Sunday, September 10, 1892, the cornerstone of a new African Methodist Episcopal Church was laid at the corner of Decatur and Frederick Streets. The Allegany Guards, the First Western Maryland Band, the Free-Masons the Knights of Pythias, and Laboring Sons, attended in a body in their uniforms. Those in attendance numbered 2,500. The stone was set by the Master Masons.
On October 7, 1893, the Western Maryland Colored Band marched in the procession in connection with the laying of the cornerstone of the new court house on Washington Street.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976