Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)
On Sunday, May 14, 1899, a temperance meeting was held at the Colored Baptist Church. The Black people were very much interested in the temperance question. Mr. Peter Fagan was taking the lead in the work.
On May 31, 1899, Memorial Day, the graves of Black soldiers at Sumner Cemetery were decorated. A large concourse of people took part in the exercises. Patriotic music and dirges were played by the First Western Maryland Band.
On May 10, 1907, the old building on Independence Street, donated some years ago by the late Mrs. Mary Hoye to the City for black religious and school purposes, became so dilapidated that the trustees, Henry Gates, Beecher Bates, Robert Trent, and Robert Snively, through a vote of the members of the three Black churches of the City, gave permission to Peter Fagan to have the same for the use of the newly organized Colored Y.M.C.A. Mr. Fagan took charge of the building and gave it a general overhauling, including a new roof and other necessary repairs. The building was readied for use as soon as possible.
On September 4, 1907, the First Western Maryland Band and the International Laborers Protective Association took part in the Labor Day Parade.
On March 8, 1908, there was a song service at the Independence Street Y.M.C.A. at 3:30 in the afternoon at which time Mrs. Woods of Cumberland read a very interesting paper describing the growth of the Y.M.C.A. work among the Black people in this country. A generous welcome was given to all to attend.
On Sunday, June 20, 1909, the cornerstone of the new Ebenezer Baptist Church for Blacks, being erected on the site formerly occupied by the structure erected by the old congregation in 1878, was laid by the Star of the West.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976