Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)
Lodge #26 A.F. and A. Masons. Mr. A. G. Washington was the "Worshipful Master." The ceremony began at 3:30 FM. Previous to the laying of the cornerstone, the members of the Colored Masonic Lodge, the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Laboring Sons, and the Hod Carriers Union formed in line of parade on Market Place (Street) and headed by the First Western Maryland Band, marched to the corner of Cumberland and Smallwood Streets, near which point the new building was being erected. After the band played "America,” the Coronation Hymn was sung. Scripture was read by Reverend T. Ernest Tyler, Pastor of the Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church. Dr. C. A. Leftwich, Pastor of the John Wesley African Methodist Episcopal Church, Frostburg, offered prayer. "Blest Be the Tie That Binds" was sung by the large assemblage, accompanied by the First Western Maryland Band. The address was delivered by Reverend Dr. W. M. Alexander, D.D., of Sharon Baptist Church, Baltimore. The closing prayer was by Reverend W. M. Holt, Pastor of McKendree Methodist Episcopal Church. The services were under the direction of the Ebenezer Congregation, Reverend Dr. G. W. M. Lucas, pastor. A large crowd witnessed the impressive ceremony.
On May 1, 1914, a notice in a local paper stated that the following barber shops, all owned by Blacks, would not go along with the new price increase and would abide by the old rate of prices. They were A. G. Washington's at 10 North George Street, William Cooper's on North Centre Street, W. H. Williams' at 10 South George Street, L. R. Edmons' at 23 Front Street and 11 Williams Street, William Thomas' in the Miller Hotel, J. Meyers' on North Centre Street, and Samuel Denson's on North Mechanic Street.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976