Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)
William Howard, Charles Toliver, William Smith, James Coker, Carroll Davis,
and Charles Waters. The committee for the event included L. R. Edmunds, Dr. Spurgeon Sparks, George Palmore, Marcellus Edwards, and Harry Snowden.
On June 17, 1925, North Mechanic Street celebrated the grand opening on the street with the event of a new street lighting system. There was a parade and prizes for the best costumes. Taking part was the First Western Maryland Band. The band, grouped in chairs in the street near Bedford Street, aided in entertaining. This band alternated during the evening with the other bands with a program of popular music.
BLACK WORSHIP AND SCHOOLS
In 1873 McKendree Chapel was located on North Centre Street, with Reverend William A. Waters, Pastor. The Bethel Church was located on Frederick Street Extended with Reverend C. Sampson, Pastor.
In 1890, Ebenezer Baptist Church was located on Cumberland Street near the B&O Railroad. The African Methodist Episcopal Church was located on Frederick Street. The Centre Street Colored Methodist Episcopal Church was located above Hanover Street.
In 1902, Ebenezer Baptist Church was located at 8 Cumberland Street, Reverends. S. Crockett, Pastor. The McKendree Methodist Episcopal Church was on North Centre Street near Gramlich Alley, Reverend Joseph Wheeler, Pastor. The Metropolitan Bethel Methodist Episcopal Church, at the corner of Decatur and Frederick Streets, had Reverend C. H. Young as Pastor.
In 1905, Ebenezer Baptist Church at 8 Cumberland Street had Reverend
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976