Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)


Black Population Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



S. S. Crockett as Pastor. The McKendree Methodist Episcopal Church was located on North Centre Street near Gramlich Alley, Reverend D. W. Shaw, Pastor. The Metropolitan Bethel Methodist Episcopal Church at the corner of Decatur and Frederick Streets had Reverend P. W. Wortham as Pastor.

In 1909, the Ebenezer Baptist Church, at 8 Cumberland Street, had Reverend George W. Lucas as Pastor. The McKendree Methodist Episcopal Church at 155 North Centre Street had Reverend William N. Holt as Pastor. St. Phillips Church (Protestant Episcopal) was located on Smallwood Street near Washington Street.

By 1977, St. Phillips Church had been torn down and the congregation had merged with other protestant Episcopal churches. The McKendree Methodist Episcopal Church building, at 155 North Centre Street, was sold to the Centre Street United Methodist Church and was razed. The colored church members built a new church on Paca Street. The Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church, at the corner of Decatur and Frederick Streets, has been put on the National Register of Historical Places. A church on pine Avenue is called the Faith Deliverance Church and Reverend Mac Far land is Pastor.

On March 23, 1899, Lawrence Dennis, the five year old boy preacher, preached at Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church. Admission was twenty-five cents. Reserved seats were thirty-five cents.

On Sunday, July 11, 1899, Peter Fagan conducted an experience meeting at the Union Grove Camp Ground. Six hundred attended.

On October 17, 1920, Peter Fagan, well known local black evangelist, held an afternoon service on Town Hill.




ID:
achm325

Page #:
325

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image