Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)
Sumner Cemetery on Yale Street off Baltimore Avenue was founded by the Laboring Sons of Cumberland. The cemetery was founded over one hundred years ago, and was, on June 21, 1977, approved to be placed on the National Register of Historical Places. A new cemetery, known as Woodlawn, was opened off Route 40, the Freeway, near Baltimore Avenue, due to Sumner Cemetery being almost filled. For many years the Sumner Cemetery was allowed to become overgrown with weeds and brush, but in 1976 a committee headed by Virginia Williams cleaned out the weeds and brush and did a most beautiful job. In August, 1976, the cemetery was re-dedicated with music by the drum corp of Fulton Myers Post of the American Legion and talks by Mrs. Miriam Mirkin, Allegany County Bicentennial Chairperson, and by others. Also, at Sumner Cemetery, there are five colored veterans of the Civil War buried. The affair in August at the Sumner Cemetery was under the direction of Virginia Williams.
A colored public school was opened on North Mechanic Street, now the site of the Kennedy Homes, in 1898, with G. E. Moore, principal, and Anna M. Irving and Lillian McHenry, teachers. This school was torn down to build the Garden Theatre in 1927. By then, a new colored school had been built on Frederick Street.
On May 25, 1871, the County Examiner and President of the School Board visited the school for colored children. The reading, writing, arithmetic, and geography were creditable alike to the teacher and pupils.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976