Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)
On December 15, 1894, a list of the schools of Allegany County was issued. It included the Cumberland Colored School. It had a total enrollment of 131 pupils. Mr. J. C. Johnson was principal, and it had one teacher.
On July 17, 1925, the Board of Education of Allegany County offered for public sale a two story brick building on North Mechanic Street formerly occupied as a Black grammar school. The building had been vacant for the last few years, with the construction of the Frederick Street High School building for all Black children. The building had been erected in 1898 and served as a Black school until 1920. It was sold to Tasker G. Lowndes for $12,300.
On March 27, 1899, the Black people of Cumberland formed a society, known as the United Order of Higher Education. The Society was to give a series of entertainments, the first to be the following Wednesday evening at the Odd Fellows Hall on Baltimore Street. The proceeds of the entertainment were to be used in fitting up a room to be used as a Normal School. The committee in charge was composed of A. W. Marsh, J. H. Jones, and C. H. Plummer.
On March 29, 1899, the entertainment held at Odd Fellows Hall marked the opening of the Normal School, which was to hold day and night sessions. The school room adjoined the Odd Fellows Hall on Baltimore Street. J. H. Jones was principal, assisted by Professor Moore.
On June 16, 1920, the graduation class of the Hack high school was entertained by Ann Coromer at the home of Dr. Thomas W. Koon, where she was employed. Instrumental and vocal music was featured, after which lunch was served. The graduation class included Janet Smith, Liza and Lulu Dougherty, May Ridgeley, and Goldie Peak.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976