Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)


Black Population Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



On March 15, 1899, the William T. Sherman Lodge, Knights of Pythias, composed of Blacks, held a large and enthusiastic meeting at their Lodge Room on Baltimore Street. Seven new members were received.

On April 3, 1899, an Easter Banquet was an occasion of much interest and eclat at the Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church. Besides a fine menu, the program included musical and literary features.

At 8:00 PM on Sunday, May 7, 1899, the Queen City Lodge 1716, Household of Ruth 259, and Maryland Council 198 of Past Grand Masters of this city, celebrated the fifty-sixth anniversary of the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows in America at the Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church at the corner of Frederick and Decatur Streets. The public was invited to attend.

On May 9, 1899, the Blue Ribbon Club gave a farewell social at Miller's Hall in honor of Reverend S. M. Johnson, Pastor of the Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church, who was to leave for conference. Music was furnished by the Lone Star Quartette, the Imperial Mandolin and Guitar Club, the First Western Maryland Band, and by well known local Black soloists. The affair ended with a cake walk.

In June, 1899, the Ebenezer Baptist Church had in progress for ten days a butterfly fair to create a building fund.

On June 11, 1918, the "True American Minstrel Show" gave a benefit performance at the Maryland Theatre, which was an eye-opener to a crowded house of whites and blacks alike, who enjoyed the fun immensely. The program included songs by Charles Green, Major Lee, Lillian Fisher, Edward Clark, Jessie Taylor, Samuel Jefferson, Perry Smith, Hattie Casey, and John Brown. There was an




ID:
achm329

Page #:
329

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image