Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Black Population)


Black Population Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



acrobat feat by P. Hayes. There was much dancing and a cake walk contest. The program ended with the singing of "The Star Spangled Banner."

On February 20, 1920, a party was given in honor of the Reverend W. F. Kenney, Pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church on his sixty-third birthday. The program included vocal solos, addresses and refreshments. The occasion was public .

On September 21, 1922, the annual observance of Emancipation Day was held by the colored residents of this City, Frostburg, and adjacent towns at People's Park on the National Highway. It lasted all day under the supervision of the Allegany County Union League. Dr. Spurgeon Sparks was president of the Allegany County Union League. L. R. Edwards was chairman for the festivities. The orator of the day was Professor John R. Hawkins of Washington, D.C., a prominent official of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The celebration, open to the public, started at 9:00 AM. The speaking started at 2:00 PM. Feasting and various forms of athletics, games and music were featured.

On August 31, 1922, a get-together social was held at McKendree Methodist Episcopal Church, North Centre Street. The evening's exercises consisted of three different features literary events, games, and refreshments. The purpose of the gathering was to get better acquainted with the strangers in the community and to bring all together in one place for social fellowship.

On April 29, 1924, an ad in a local newspaper told of the organization of Mail's Happy Six Orchestra, open for engagements under the management of Hunter Rhoades. People were to phone the Queen City Hotel, 488-R.

On August 1, 1924, in honor of the members of the Colored band of Miller Brothers Shows, the local Lodge of Colored Elks entertained at their home,




ID:
achm330

Page #:
330

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image