Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1910)
DOWNTOWN CUMBERLAND IN 1910
The boundaries of Downtown Cumberland in 1910 were Williams Street on the south and Market Street to the north, the Western Maryland Railroad to the west, and the B&O Railroad on the east. Within this area, there were eight churches, three schools, ten restaurants, seven bakeries, nine banks, sixteen barbershops, seven of which were Black owned, eight blacksmiths and horseshoers, eight boarding houses, four cigar and tobacco stores, seven clothing stores, thirteen dressmakers, nine drugstores, nine furniture stores, two gas companies, seventeen grocery stores, two harness and saddlemaker establishments, twelve hotels, two of which had black owners, six jewelry stores, six Justices of the peace, twenty-five lawyers, four livery stables, one city market in the City Hall building, nine meat markets, three monument dealers, three music dealers, four newspapers, four photographers, twenty-three physicians, five pool rooms, forty-two saloons, six shoemakers, one shooting gallery, two street railway companies, one talking machine dealer, two telephone companies, two telegraph companies, three theatres, three veterinary surgeons, four wholesale liquor dealers, one automobile garage, and an automobile repair shop.
Some stores in Downtown Cumberland advertised in the local Evening Times, including The Specialty Store at 127 Baltimore Street, advertising men's trousers for $1.24 to $2.50, men's overcoats, $3.69 to $14.00, and men's suits, $3.69 to $12.50. With each suit, the buyer received a necktie and a pair of suspenders free of charge. The McMullen Bros. Department Store advertised
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976