Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1910)
boys' Indian suits, complete with headdress for $.98 to $1.49, boys' cowboy suits, $.98 to $1.49, boys' rough rider suits, $.98 to $1.49, men's pleated bosom shirts, regularly $.75, but now on sale for $.50, 300 pairs of ladies' corsets, regularly $1.00, now on sale for $. 50, and ladies' black hose with white feet for $.10. Schwarzenbach and Son offered fancy vests, some that were daring in color, others that were mild and reserved, for $1.50 to $6.00. The Windsor Garage and Auto Livery Company, at 21 North George Street, advertised new Ford automobiles complete with top and side curtains, windshield, three oil lamps, a horn, and a full kit of tools for $950. 00. The Queen City Garage Company, at 212 North Centre Street, offered good used automobiles Stevenduryeas, Stanley Steamers, Franklins, and Buicks, Cowden and Perrin Real Estate listed for rent a six room house on Gay Street opposite the silk mill for $8.00 per month. The Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company opened their first store in Cumberland on March 18, 1910 at 122 North Centre Street.
In 1910, the streetcars were running north and south on Centre Street, east and west on Baltimore Street, and on Harrison Street from South Centre Street to Cumberland and Westernport. The Cumberland and Westernport Electric Railway Company freight station was located at Harrison Street and the B&O Railroad crossing. The Western Maryland Railroad Company's passenger station was at the corner of Canal Street and the Western Maryland Railroad crossing on West Baltimore Street.
On March 14, 1910, at 8:50 AM, a general alarm fire was sounded when it was discovered that the Cumberland City Hall was on fire. The fire resulted in a total loss to the City Hall and Academy of Music. The building was opened March 7, 18 76. The Academy of Music occupied the center part of the
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976