Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1910)
building. The cost of the erection of the entire building in 1876 was $94, 500. The burned building was situated on North Centre Street between Frederick and Bedford Streets. The building at the time of the fire contained a market house on the first or ground floor, the City Council Chamber, and the offices for mayor and city councilmen. Many fraternal orders used the building. Some were the Chosen Friends Lodge, the Odd Fellows, the Colfax Rebecca Lodge, Canton Allegany #4, the B&O Locomotive Engineers, and Ladies Auxiliary, the Railway Trainmen, the Daughters of Liberty, the Pocahontas Lodge, the Auxiliary to Railway Conductors, the Western Maryland Railway Engineers, the Potomac and Ohr Lodges of Masons, the Knights Templer, and a chapter of the Eastern Star. Most of these lodges used one meeting room. The present City Hall is built on the site of the destroyed building.
On July 27, 1910, McCrory's Five and Ten Cent Store opened for business in their present location on Baltimore Street. On November 30, 1910, the Zion German Reformed Church property on North Liberty Street was sold to the Real Estate and Securities Company. The Liberty Theatre was built on the property. In 1910, the theatres downtown included the Maryland on North Mechanic Street, which in the winter staged live shows, such as the Al G. Field Show, and the Lew Dockstader Minstrel Shows. Neil O'Brien was the star of Dockstader's Minstrels and had not as yet taken his own minstrel show on the road. John Philip Sousa and his band made a yearly appearance, first at the Academy of Music, then at the Maryland Theatre.
On March 30, 1910, at the Maryland Theatre, the Potomac Club presented the opera "Pirates of Penzance" by Gilbert and Sullivan. The show starred local talent. Besides New York stage shows, the Maryland Theatre
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976