Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1910)
The fire at the Bon-Ton Millinery Store, in the Walsh Building, now the Clark Keating Building and the Cumberland Cloak and Suit building, on Baltimore Street on November 6, 1910, caused the complete destruction of the stock in the store. The loss was set at $15,000. Portions of the plant of the Evening Times was ruined by fire on December 26, 1910. The loss exceeded $10,000. The job printing department and the furnace room were damaged, much of it by water. The Evening Times building was on South Mechanic Street.
The Third National Bank was at the southwest corner of South Centre and Baltimore Streets. The Dime Savings Bank was on North Liberty Street. The Commercial Bank was at the corner of North Liberty and Frederick Streets, the First National Bank at the corner of Baltimore and George Streets, and the Second National Bank at Baltimore and Liberty Streets. The Citizens National Bank and the German Savings Bank stood side by side in the same building, on the northeast corner of Baltimore and Centre Streets. The Inter-State Trust Company was at 112 Baltimore Street, now the site of Schwarzenbach's Store. The YMCA was on Baltimore Street in the building now occupied by Peskin's. Schwarzenbach's Store was on the first floor of the YMCA building. The McMullen Brothers Department Store stood at the present location of Murphy's Store, and was known as the St. Nicholas Store. Of the nine drugstores in Downtown Cumberland in 1910, seven were on Baltimore Street. The leading hotels in Downtown Cumberland were the Windsor, formerly the Barnum House, at the corner of Baltimore and North George Streets, the Pennsylvania Hotel, at 81-83 North Mechanic Street, now the site of the Kennedy Homes, known as a farmer's hotel because it had stables and a yard for horses and wagons, the Hotel Tremont on South Mechanic Street near Baltimore Street, which featured
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976