Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1910)
steam heat and electric lights, a boarding stable and automobile shed. Other hotels were The Hotel Olympia, at the corner of Baltimore and North Mechanic Streets, the Inn Hotel at 11-13 North Mechanic Street, which was later bought and converted to the Knights of Columbus Home, and the Arlington Hotel at 157-159 Baltimore Street, now the site of the Holiday Inn parking lot. A great many traveling salesmen stopped at the latter. It featured electric lights, electric bells, steam heat, and sample rooms where salesmen could display their wares. Special attention was given to commercial men. Rates were $1.50 per day. There was a saloon and restaurant connected to the hotel. Cavanaugh's Hotel stood at 154-158 Baltimore Street, now the GeeBee parking lot. There were two hotels for Black patrons in Downtown Cumberland. One was the Central Hotel at 61 North Mechanic Street, and the other the Oxford Hotel at 18 Bedford Street. Most Downtown hotels had saloons and restaurants in connection with the hotel.
While there were forty-two saloons in Downtown Cumberland, there were also eight churches. Three schools were located in Downtown Cumberland, the Union Street School, the Mechanic Street School for Blacks, and the Tri-State Business College. In 1910, Cumberland had thirty physicians and sixteen dentists. All of the dentists and twenty-three physicians had offices in Downtown Cumberland. Cumberland in 1910 also had three undertakers, all located Downtown. They were Butler's at 29 North Centre Street, Stein's at 54 North Centre Street, and Wolford's at 15 North Mechanic Street.
The White House Lunch Wagon was on North Liberty Street near Frederick Street in 1910. It had opened in 1904 at the corner of Baltimore and Liberty Streets next to the Second National Bank building. The Lunch Wagon was
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976