Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1910)


Downtown in 1910 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



painted white, and had a shelf running around three sides of the inside with stools placed in front of the shelf for the patrons. It had a number of small colored glass windows all around the wagon, and a likeness of Great Americans was in each window. It was owned and operated by George A. Wadsworth and his son, Lloyd F. Wadsworth. After the death of the elder Mr. Wadsworth, it was operated by the son, Lloyd. Later he sold the Lunch Wagon to the Bucy Brothers, James and Earl. At the time the Kelly Springfield Tire Company plant was being built, the wagon was moved to a location near the construction site. The Lunch Wagon closed after this move.

The Savoy Bowling Alley and Fool Room at 168 Baltimore Street hear the Kenneweg Building was bought by Thomas C. Stakem and Feter D. Firlie in 1910 and was later bought from Mr. Stakem by Peter Firlie and was operated by him until his death in 1945, at which time his family took over the operation. The back part of the first floor was used for bowling, as was the second floor. The front of the first floor was the pool room, with a cigar and refreshment stand. Many bowling leagues, both men and women, used the Savoy Alleys. A large board on one wall carried the latest baseball scores. The Savoy was a gathering place for the young and the sporting element of the city. The business was closed when the building was torn down by Urban Renewal in 1967. The site is part of the GeeBee Shopping Center parking lot.




ID:
achm345

Page #:
345

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image