Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1930)


Downtown in 1930 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



and seventeen grocery stores. Forty-two lawyers had offices in Downtown Cumberland. Thirty-three physicians and surgeons had offices Downtown, as did eight dealers in radio sets and repairs, ten retail shoe stores, and nine shoe repairers. Three shoe shine parlors were on Baltimore Street. The only streetcar line still running in 1930 was the South Centre Street-Narrows Park line. The Cumberland and Westernport Electric Railway Company line, which ran from Harrison Street to the Narrows via North Centre Street was no longer in operation. Passenger buses were running Downtown. One could ride a passenger bus from Downtown to the Dingle via Green and Fayette Streets, to the South End and to North Cumberland.

The Central Fire Station in Downtown Cumberland at City Hall Square was equipped with five motorized pieces of fire equipment, and with eleven firemen. The Fire Chief was Reid C. Hoenicka and the Assistant Chief was John E. Brennen. Police headquarters were in the basement of the Cumberland City Hall. The jail was in the building which is now the Chamber of Commerce building at Bedford Street and City Hall Square. The Police Chief was Oscar A. Eyerman and the Assistant Chief was J. Peter Minnicks. In 1930 there was only one telephone company operating in Cumberland, the C&P Telephone Company having bought the Western Maryland Telephone Company. Leading Downtown retail stores were on Baltimore Street. Some were the E.V. Coyle Furniture Store, Frederick's Piano and Music Store, the Cumberland Cloak and Suit Store, the Two Brothers Men's Clothing Store on Baltimore Street in the Fort Cumberland Hotel building, the National Bellas Hess Company department store, now the site of the Wolf Furniture Store, the S. T. Little Jewelry Store, Rosenbaum's Department Store, Schwarzenbach and Son,




ID:
achm351

Page #:
351

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image