Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1930)


Downtown in 1930 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Philipsborn Ladies' Wear, the Globe Men's Clothing Store, the McMullen Brothers Department Store, Perkin's Shoe Store, the Coffman-Fisher Department Store, and Lasky's, Inc., a department store.

On Centre Street were the L. Bernstein Furniture Store, H.U.F. Flurshutz and Son Furniture Store, Lear and Oliver Ice Cream and Candy store, the Chicago Meat Market, the C. O. Kenny Company Coffee and Tea store, Hills Toy Store, the T. J. Gurley and Son Grocers, and S. Schwab and Company knit goods store. Harvey's Jewelry Store was on South Liberty Street. The Law Building was at 117 South Liberty Street and six lawyers had offices in this building. The Hodson Chevrolet Sales Company was at 123 South Liberty Street. The Strand Theatre was at South Liberty and Pershing Streets. The Western Union and the Postal Telegraph Companies had offices on North Liberty Street. The Liberty Theatre was on North Liberty Street. The Peoples Bank was as 32 North Liberty Street. The Potomac Edison Electric Appliance Store was at 42 North Liberty Street. The Commercial Savings Bank was at North Liberty and Frederick Streets. The United States Post Office and the United States District Court were at North Liberty and Frederick Streets.

The Maryland Theatre, Knights of Columbus building, the Cumberland Laundry, the Morehead Building, which had rooms for twelve fraternal orders and craft unions to meet, the Cumberland and Allegheny Gas Company, and Gas and Electric Appliance Store were on North Mechanic Street. Buchholtz Garage and salesroom was at 40 North Mechanic Street. B. Beneman and Sons Furniture store was at 41 North Mechanic Street. Also on North Mechanic Street in Downtown Cumberland were the Fraternal Order of Eagles #245 building, the Tri-State Mill and Mine Supply Company, and the Cumberland Milling Company




ID:
achm352

Page #:
352

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image