Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1930)


Downtown in 1930 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



North Mechanic and Bedford Streets. The Salvation Army Building, the Garden Theatre, the Southern Hotel, formerly the Pennsylvania Hotel, and the Shafer Motor Parts Company were on Mechanic Street. On South Mechanic Street were the Times and Alleganian Company. The Alleganian was a weekly paper issued by the Evening Times Company. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows Temple was, and still is, at 12 South Mechanic Street. A building of three stories housing nine fraternal orders in 1930, including the Ku Klux Klan who held meetings in this building, was on North Mechanic Street. The motor bus terminal was at 20 South Mechanic Street. Four different bus lines used the terminal. There also was a lunch counter at the terminal. The Lucky Strike Miniature Golf course was at the corner of South Mechanic and Pershing Streets. The Western Maryland Railway Company and the Pennsylvania Railway Company had a combined freight station on South Mechanic Street. The Evergreen Miniature Golf course was at 108 South Mechanic Street on the site of the former Daisey's Dancing Academy. The Crystal Laundry, Footer's Dye Works, and the Queen City Dairy, Inc., were on South Mechanic Street.

On Williams Street bordering Downtown Cumberland there was the Imperial Ice Cream Company, the Cumberland Mattress Company, the Cumberland Steel Company, Swift and Company Wholesale Meats, and the Williams Street Baltimore and Ohio Railroad crossing, now closed.

The Liberty Trust Company at the corner of Baltimore and South Centre Streets had six floors. The bank occupied the first floor. The Lottig and Lottig Cigar and Tobacco Store was also on the first floor. Sixty-nine individuals or organizations had office space in the building. This included ten lawyers' offices. The Golden Gate Tea Room was at 17 South Centre Street.




ID:
achm353

Page #:
353

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image