Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1930)
The Cumberland and Westernport Transit Company waiting room was at 20 South Centre Street. The Allegany County Board of Education had offices at 105 South Centre Street. The B'er Chayim Congregation and the Cumberland Lodge No. 63 B. P. O. Elks were on South Centre Street at the same locations as now. The Medical Building at South Centre and Harrison Streets housed twelve physicians and dentists. The Jenvey Building had offices for twelve organizations. McKaig's Foundry was at the corner of Harrison Street and ran down South Centre Street for an entire block. The National Guard Armory and the Coca Cola Bottling Works were on South Centre Street.
On North George Street, the L and A Bus Lines waiting room stood, as well as the Windsor Hotel garage, Spoerl's Garage, the Greenbrier Quarry Company which made concrete blocks, and the B&O Railroad and the C&P Railroad freight station and offices. On South George Street, the First National Bank building stood at the corner of Baltimore Street, with an entrance on South George Street, and had ten offices. Also on South George Street were the Wilson and Pugh Wholesale Hardware store, the Tri-State Paper Company, Oscar Gurley's Garage and salesroom, the Railway Express Agency, Inc., located in the former B&O freight station building at South George Street and the B&O Railroad crossing on Harrison Street, the St. George Motor Company Ford automobile sales, and the Pittsburgh Provision and Packing Company selling wholesale meats.
Harrison Street from South Mechanic Street to the B&O Railroad crossing had besides a number of residences, the Peoples Produce Company, the Cash Feed Store, two plumbing shops, the George W. F. Webster Wholesale Candy Company, one restaurant, and the Cumberland and Westernport Transit
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976