Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1930)
Company freight station, then abandoned.
The gathering places most popular for the young people Downtown were the Royal Confectionery, the Curtis Confectionery, the Rendezvous Restaurant, Savoy Pool Room, and the Curtis Coney Island Hotdog Stand. Public dances were held at the State Armory on South Centre Street, Miller's Hall on North Centre Street between Frederick and Bedford Streets, the Knights of Columbus Hall on North Mechanic Street, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles building on North Mechanic Street. Churches in Downtown Cumberland in 1930 were St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, the Central Methodist Church, B'er Chayim Jewish Temple, the Salvation Army, St. Paul's Lutheran Church, and the First Methodist Church. The Western Maryland Railroad passenger station was south of Baltimore Street on Canal Street. The C&O Canal with its terminal in Downtown south of Baltimore Street had ceased operation.
Boxing matches were held at the Maryland and Liberty Theatres, the K of C Hall, and the National Guard Armory on South Centre Street. Basketball games were held at the National Guard Armory on South Centre Street, and at the Knights of Columbus Hall on North Mechanic Street. The sporting element gathered at Hope rafts Barber Shop on North Liberty Street, the Moss, Clay and Button's poolroom, also on North Liberty Street, and at the Savoy Poolroom. Stage shows were held at the Maryland and Strand Theatres. For a time, vaudeville was part of the program at the Liberty Theatre on North Liberty Street. The Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company had stores at 12-14, at 65, and at 198 North Centre Street and at 43 North Mechanic Street. There was an American Store at 47 North Centre Street.
At 19-25 Bedford Street was the Ruehl Building, which included
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976