Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1930)


Downtown in 1930 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



which included besides an apartment for the Ruehl family and a storeroom on the first floor, rooms where twelve craft unions met in the upper stories. The three story Morehead Building at 23 North Mechanic Street had on the street floor the William Morehead's Sons Hardware Store and Tin Shop. On the second and third floor were meeting rooms for twelve union and fraternal organizations. Polk Street was a residential street, but also had the Junior Order United American Mechanics Hall, and a three story building which besides meeting rooms had a number of apartments. At the rear of 132 Polk Street was the Knights of Pythias Home, which housed besides that Order, William T. Sherman Lodge No. 1, A.F. and A.M., and the Star of West Lodge A.F. and A.M., which were Black lodges. The Sharer and Hering Plumbing Company and the Marion O. Anderson Blacksmith Shop were on Salem Street next to the Maryland State Armory on South Centre Street.

Miniature golf courses in Downtown Cumberland included the Golf Garden at 38 1/2 Baltimore Street on the second floor, now the site of the Wolf Furniture Store, the Evergreen Golf Course at 108 South Mechanic Street, and the Lucky Strike Golf Course at the corner of South Mechanic and Pershing Streets.

Theatres in Downtown Cumberland included the Garden Theatre at 125 North Mechanic Street, the Strand Theatre at South Liberty and Pershing Streets, the Liberty Theatre at 24 North Liberty Street, the Maryland Theatre at 37 North Mechanic Street, and the Capitol Theatre at 133 Baltimore Street.




ID:
achm356

Page #:
356

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image