Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)


Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



these logs into customers' specifications. The Cherry Lumber Company was sold to a Cincinnati group who, in 1914, sold the plant to Fulcher P. Smith. He converted the production into boxes made from local hardwoods for the N & G Taylor Tin Plate Mill, a thriving company in South Cumberland. In 1921 Mr. Smith moved the mill from Locust Grove to South Cumberland in order to be near his principal customer. At this time the work force numbered ten men. The plant expanded into making chicken crates, apple boxes, tonic cases and after the repeal of Prohibition in 1932, the plant went into a heavy production of wood beer cases for local breweries. Upon graduation from Princeton in 1939, F. Perry Smith, Jr. entered into a partnership with his father in the business and assumed complete management. Mr. Smith, Sr., returned to the business in 1943 when F. Perry Smith, Jr. went on active duty with the U.S. Navy. In 1946, after returning from his Navy service, F. Perry Smith, Jr. purchased his father's interest and became sole owner, which has continued to this time. Other forms of containers of wood were made for the orchards and farms, bottlers of beer and other beverages. Bathtub crates were made each month to fill several box cars. Stove crates were made for the Hotpoint and Caloric companies. After fibre beer cases took the place of wooden cases, the company stitched fibre beer cases for local breweries as needed.

In 1957 the method of handling was completely changed when a fork lift truck was purchased. Electric motors were installed in place of power from a steam engine. A new heating system was installed to assure continued production through the winter months. In 1927 fire destroyed the plant. Reconstruction was started at once, and the plant continues at this time. The present work force is twelve men. Mrs. Bettie Bujac has been with the company




ID:
achm052

Page #:
052

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image