Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)


Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



27 years and is office manager as well as Mr. Smith's secretary. During World War II the plant manufactured pallets for Naval depots, ammunition boxes for the Kelly-Springfield Engineering Company, and shipping containers for the Letter-Kenny Ordnance Depot. In 1968 the company purchased the equipment of the South Cumberland planing Mill Company. This puts the Cumberland Box Company in a better position to supply the agricultural, beverage, and industrial accounts with a wider variety of items. In November 1972 Don W. Asher entered into a purchase agreement to buy the Cumberland Box and Mill Company from the owner, F. Perry Smith, Jr. Mr. Asher is a native of Barbourville, Kentucky. He was associated with the J. M. Huber Corporation, Timber and Minerals Division, in Kentucky and Tennessee. Mr. Smith remains affiliated with the company in an advisor's capacity.

Mr. F. Perry Smith, Jr. resides on Buckingham Road in the Dingle. He is past president of the Cumberland Rotary Club and present Mayor of Cumberland, Maryland.

6. Where were silk mills located in Cumberland? When? What products did they produce?

In 1904 a new silk mill had operated on Gay Street. It was known as the Knots Throwing Company. J. H. Britton was manager in 1909, Warren P. Seem was superintendent, and Peter Berry was assistant superintendent over the silk mill operation of the Knots Throwing Company. In 1940 it was known as the General Textile Mills, with Edward G. Wagner as superintendent. It operated until 1945. In 1947 the building was occupied by the Cumberland Undergarment




ID:
achm053

Page #:
053

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image