Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)
In old Cumberland city directories back to 1921, another silk mill, known as the Berry Throwing Company, was in operation on North Mechanic Street at the B&O Viaduct. Peter Berry, who was with the Knots Throwing Company for many years, was the owner. It operated until the 1930's. In 1942 the building was listed as vacant.
7. Where were glass factories located in Cumberland? When? What products did they produce?
In 1816 Roger Thomas Perry owned a glass factory on Paca Street.
In 1882 the Wellington Glass Factory, formerly the Cumberland Glass Company, located on North Mechanic Street adjacent to Henderson Avenue Bridge, manufactured glass light shades for street lights and also for lighting homes. It employed 300 and had its own glass cutting plant. It burned down on February 29, 1920. The loss was $400,000.
The Potomac Glass Plant, located between the rear of the Algonquin Hotel and Market Street opened on September 29, 1904. It manufactured tumblers, drinking glasses, and fancy goblets. It had its own glass cutting shop but burned down April 23, 1929.
The Queen City Glass Works, formerly Whitman Glass Company, Eastern Glass Works (owned by Fred Mertens) Warren, was in South Cumberland, Maryland. It was located across from Springdale Street over the B&O Railroad tracks. It had its own glass cutting shop and made fancy glassware for table use, etc. This building burned down.
The Zilman Glass Factory opened on June 23, 1927 and closed in 1928 with less than one year of work. It was located at the end of Columbia
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976