Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)


Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



was sold to Paul Ritter. After the fire (above) the brewery was rebuilt, but only as a wholesale distribution plant for out of town products. One of the favorite beers was Strohs.

Bartholomer Himler established a brewery on Knox and Hay Streets. It was called Bartle's Brewery. In 1854 it was sold to John Henry Zink.

The Cumberland Breweries Company was organized in 1890, in the old cotton factory on North Centre Street. It made Old Export beer. When the country was dry (1920 - 1933), the brewery made a near beer called Fort Cumberland beverage. This brewery was bought by the German Brewery and closed down in 1950.

While Cumberland had no whiskey distilleries in the city, there were distilleries associated with Cumberland. The James Clark Distillery was in La Vale, Maryland, at the site of the La Vale Post Office and La Vale Fire Department buildings. It was built by Clabaugh and Jones in 1856, then bought by James H. Percy in 1877 for a chemical works. It was bought by James Clark in 1883 for a distillery. On May 19, 1903, the James Clark Distilling Company celebrated the 20th anniversary of the distillery with an old time picnic at Dilly's Grove on the National Road (Route 40) a short distance from the distillery. Nearly all the saloon keepers of Allegany County were present, besides many others. Mr. John Keating, vice president and treasurer of the Clark Distilling Company, welcomed the guests. Refreshments and lunch were served. The buildings of the distillery were of stone, being built by contractor John Rhind, who was a stone mason and helped in construction of the C&O Canal. In the year 1883 when the distillery began, the output was but two barrels a day. In




ID:
achm057

Page #:
057

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image