Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)


Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information




1903 the capacity was 30 barrels a day. At this time there were 15,000 barrels of whiskey in bond at the distillery. In an advertisement in a local paper on January 4, 1897, the James Clark Distilling Company had distilled Braddock Old Export Whiskey in the spring of 1890, and exported it to Bremen, Germany. It was reimported in 1895. Leading dealers claim a sea voyage equals three years age. Hence, this explains its trans-Atlantic voyage and it fully matured. Clarks Distillery had a retail store on Baltimore Street in Cumberland (now the Lazurus Building), built in 1899, where they sold their whiskey. The distillery closed down at the coming of Prohibition.

In May 1921, the James Clark Distilling Company was sold to B. N. Neaman of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. At that time there were 3,000 barrels of Braddock Whiskey stored in the bonded warehouse which would be bottled and disposed of under government supervision for medicinal use. On October 26, 1923, B. N. Neaman and E. M. Mottsman of Pittsburgh, owners of the Clark's Distillery warehouse in LaVale, and Galen L. Tait, collector of Internal Revenue, and Edmund J. Budnitz, prohibition Director for the State of Maryland, were in Cumberland to investigate the theft of ten barrels of whiskey from the warehouse the previous day. Two men entered under pretense of using the phone. While using the phone, several masked men entered and held the guards at gun point. A $1,000 reward was offered for the arrest and conviction of the robbers. On October 29, 1923, upon an official check of the bonded warehouses, it was found that 43 barrels and one case of whiskey were missing. The reward was increased to $2,000. On October 31, 1923, five barrels of the whiskey stolen at Clark's Distillery were recovered at a garage on the road near Dreyer's Beach. One man was arrested.




ID:
achm058

Page #:
058

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image