Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)


Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



On November 10, 1923, a second man was arrested in Baltimore on charges of being implicated in the distillery robbery. On November 2, 1923, 24 barrels of whiskey taken from the Clarks Distillery were recovered in a stable at the farm near Dreyer's Beach.

The Wills Brook Distilling Company, located five miles from Cumberland at Ellerslie, Maryland (President Herman M. Siefers, Vice President Alfred C. Piquet, Secretary-Treasurer F. William Siefers), was organized in 1908. The plant covered sixteen acres. Mr. Piquet was from Frederick, Maryland, and was a master distiller. Their leading brand was Wills Brook Rye and they had a retail store on North Centre Street near Frederick Street.

The Lichtenstein Company (Mrs. Sarah and sons Lee, Robert and Reuben) was listed in the 1900 City Directory as rectifiers and sellers of wholesale liquors. They would have whiskey shipped by barrel into the store at 136 Baltimore Street at the corner of George Street. They would then bottle and sell wholesale and retail. They were associated with a distillery at Frederick, Maryland in 1909. Levi Price Rye was their leading whiskey.

9. Where were tanneries located in Cumberland? When?

J. B. Hoyt Company Tannery, located on Wills Creek north of the Viaduct, was also known as Wills Creek Tannery (Old U. S. Tannery at Valley Street and Wills Creek) and employed 45 men. They used 5,000 cords of bark annually and prepared 25,000 hides for market each year. In 1890 the tannery was operated by Fayer, Weather and Ladew. In 1901 it was known as the United States Leather Company. A. L. and W. A. Withers Tannery on North Centre




ID:
achm059

Page #:
059

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image