Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)

Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


Street at the Viaduct manufactured mostly sole leather. In 1873 they had ten employees with a payroll of $300.00 per month. The business was sold in 1879. In an article in a local paper dated September 20, 1898, this property was known as the Payne Spring Tannery and had been recently sold to W. A. Foster of Boston. At the time of the fire, the tannery employed 40 people with a payroll of $275.00 a week. The tannery had a capacity of 75 sides of cowhide daily, made into bag, strap, and upper leather. The plant was destroyed with a loss of $50,000. According to a 1901 City Directory, the building was rebuilt and the business continued. In 1910 the Glisan Brothers took over the building as a garage for auto repair and sales. The Glisan building was razed by fire November 30, 1944. A new building was built to house an Acme market.

10. Where was the furniture factory located in Cumberland? What was the name of the company? When did it operate?

The furniture factory of Kennedy H. Butler was in a big brick building (now the Cumberland Storage Company) between Baltimore and Henry Streets and between North George and North Centre Streets (now the GeeBee Store). They employed 83 men, with a monthly payroll of $3,500.00. Nearly a million feet of lumber was worked up into furniture of all descriptions. The building covered 54,000 square feet. This factory supplied not only local trade but had a national reputation. The warerooms of this business were on Centre Street in a four story building. The lower floor was used as a sales room. Mr. Butler was general manager, John W. Shaffer was bookkeeper and salesman, and Daniel McGee was general foreman of the shops. The next largest furniture


Page #:

Miller, Herman J.

Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland


Collection Location:

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Stegmaier, Harry

Cumberland (Md.), history

Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image