Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)


Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Flurshutz passed away his son, Arthur, continued for awhile, but due to ill health closed out the business in the late 1950's.

11. What garment factories were located in Cumberland? When did they operate? What products did they manufacture?

The garment industry started with the early days when the women of the family bought material and made garments, shirts, pants, underwear, etc., and there were many women known as seamstresses who would, for a fee, sew for families who wanted garments made. In the 1873 Cumberland City Directory, there were twenty such listed. Each neighborhood had others known only to the immediate neighborhood. In 1914 the Baltimore Bargain House of Baltimore, Maryland rented part of the Odd Fellows Building on South Mechanic Street. Material was shipped into the plant and garments were then made. When the plant operated there were 80 girls employed. M. M. Kirschembaum was manager. A strike in 1918 crippled production. The factory was shut down for several months. The factory closed down within a year. At the present time and probably the largest garment industry is the S. Schwab Company. The plant opened in 1924. Most of the work was done at home by housewives, with the rest at a small plant at 149 North Centre Street. In 1949 the plant was moved to 130 Bedford Street. The business was founded by Samuel Schwab in New York in 1915 and moved to Cumberland and opened the business in 1924. Starting with four employees in 1924, in 1977 there are 125 employees. Infants wear has been the main production, but for awhile ladies' garments were made. Now only infants wear to 24 months of age are made. After service in World War II, sons Leonard and Richard




ID:
achm062

Page #:
062

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image