Churches and Synagogues (Churches and Synagogues)
CUMBERLAND'S CHURCHES AND SYNAGOGUES
1. What Protestant churches were located in Cumberland? Where were they? When were they in existence? Did any of them change locations? When?
In August, 1803, the Emmanuel Protestant Episcopal Church, known as Emmanuel Parish, was incorporated. The building of a church was begun on the site of the present Emmanuel Church, then known as Fort Hill, the former site of Fort Cumberland. The church building was built by the joint efforts of the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians. In 1818, when it was still unfinished, the lot was sold to satisfy a judgment. It was bought by Col. William Lamar. In 1829, the vestry of Emmanuel again acquired title to the lot. In 1829, the church building was completed. It was a plain square brick church. In 1848, the brick church was removed and on Ascension Day, 1849, the cornerstone of the new church was laid. On October 15, 1851, the new church was consecrated. In 1870, the spire was blown down by wind and was replaced in 1875.
The Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, at the corner of North Centre and Smith Streets, organized as the German Evangelical Lutheran Trinity Congregation of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession in the City of Cumberland, Maryland, was established on January 30, 1853. The first services were held in the Canada Hose House on North Mechanic Street. The cornerstone of the Trinity Church was laid on June 2, 1854 and dedicated on Christmas Eve, 1854. An addition to the church was built in 1904, and another addition to the church was built on Smith Street in 1948.
St. Luke's Lutheran Church was organized in January, 1838. Those of the Lutheran faith were affiliated with the only Lutheran Church in town, Christ's
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976