Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
1848 the Liberty Street Church was enlarged. On June 20, 1870, the congregation adopted the recommendation of the Board of Trustees to purchase the site on Washington Street where the church now stands. The Liberty Street Church property was sold in May, 1871, to the Zion German Reformed Congregation. In August, 1871, the church on Washington Street was begun. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1871. Services were held in the lecture room which was completed in August, 1873. The new church was completed with the exception of the spire in June, 1875. The church was dedicated June 6, 1875.
The first indication of a move to organize a Baptist Church in Cumberland was in 1847 when Benjamin Griffith of the First Baptist Church of Baltimore secured a room over an engine house and immediately began to preach and to make known to his hearers his object to organize a Baptist Church. On July 22, 1847, the congregation assumed the name The First Baptist Church of Cumberland. The church was incorporated on May 27, 1848. A lot was purchased on Blocker Street, now Bedford Street, and the building of the church was begun. It was dedicated on November 4, 1849. During the Civil War the church was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers and about this time was also used as a school house. From 1882 to 1894 the official records of the church cannot be found, but it is thought that during this time the extension of the front of the church was built, just as it is today.
The Centre Street (United) Methodist Church on North Centre Street is the first Methodist place of worship in Cumberland, and was a log church built by the Lutherans but used by other churches. This was in 1785 - 1786. The deed for the lot upon which the first Methodist Church in Cumberland was built bears
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976