Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
the date 1799, and the church building, being of frame construction, was thought to have been built in 1800. It was on the west side of Wills Creek on the corner of what is now Fayette and Smallwood Streets. In 1816, a new brick church was built on Mill Street, now North Centre Street, and site of the present church. This church was one and one-half stories high. In 1837 this building was enlarged by adding fifteen feet to the rear and made into a two story building. In 1848 this church was replaced by a new church almost twice as large. In 1871 a new church was decided upon. On April 30, 1871, a memorial service was held in the old church, and it was torn down the next day. The contract to build a new Methodist church was awarded on July 10, 1871 to James W. Sowders of Cumberland for $23,500.00. During the time the church was being built, the congregation met in Good Tern piers Hall, 86 Baltimore Street, and in the Methodist Protestant Church on Bedford Street. On August 10, 1871, the cornerstone for the new church was laid. The new church was dedicated in 1874. In 1912, an addition was added to the rear of the church building. A new building, known as Francis Asbury Hall, was added in 1928.
St. Paul's Lutheran Church is the oldest Protestant church in Cumberland. The first church, built of logs, was known as the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Cumberland, Maryland. It was located on a lot which is at the corner of what is now Baltimore and North Centre Streets. In 1842, the second church, known as Christ's Lutheran Congregation, was built at the same location. Building operations continued until July 13, 1843, when operations ceased because of lack of funds. Work progressed when funds again were available. The church was used for the first time for service in November, 1844. In June, 1844, the building of a steeple was started. After a year and a half, it was not yet
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976