Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
finished. In 1859, the unfinished steeple was replaced by another and more imposing one. On June 25, 1893, the congregation voted to proceed with the erection of a new church. It was more than a year until the erection of the new church had been started. During the building of the new church, the congregation held services in the B'er Chayim Jewish Synagogue at the corner of Union and South Centre Streets. The new church was dedicated at the evening services on September 22, 1895. The church at Baltimore and Centre Streets was damaged by the flood of March 17, 1936. In 1959, the present St. Paul's Lutheran Church on Washington Street, bounded by Smallwood and Fayette Streets, was opened.
St. Mark's Reformed Church was organized in 1891, with services being held at the Grand Army of the Republic Hall on Baltimore Street. The new church at the corner of Harrison and Park Streets was dedicated on April 4, 1897. It was used as a place of worship until the time the congregation was able to finish the structure.
Zion Church had been organized in 1867. A church was bought on North Liberty Street from the first Presbyterian congregation in 1871, the church having been built in 1840. The cornerstone of the new Zion German Reformed Church on North Mechanic Street was laid on Sunday, October 1, 1911. Potomac Lodge #100, A.F. and A. Masons, were in charge of the laying of the cornerstone. In November, 1910, the Liberty Street church was sold to the Real Estate and Securities Company. The building was razed and the Liberty Theatre was erected. The Zion Congregation, on March 30, 1911, bought the old Smith Hotel property on North Mechanic Street and erected a more modern structure on the site. The church is now known as the Zion United Church of Christ and is located at 405 North Mechanic Street.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976