Cumberland, Maryland (Churches and Synagogues)
In April, 1866, Reverend Williamson Harris arrived in Cumberland from Baltimore, having left his preaching in North Carolina because he wanted to establish a new home. His daughter had become ill and Reverend Harris decided to stop in Cumberland for medical attention. Cumberland in 1868 had a population of about 1,500. Finding good medical attention for the child, and the people friendly, and after being asked to remain and preach for them, he consented to do so. In May, 1868, Reverend Harris preached to a small audience in the Market House Hall, now the site of the present City Hall. Soon a group of local people were discussing the formation of a new church. They then decided upon the formation of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church South, Cumberland, Maryland. They decided to ask Reverend Harris to continue preaching for them, which he consented to do. On June 7, 1868, a Sunday School was organized in Market House Hall. On August 23, 1868, they moved from Market House Hall to the Pioneer Hall over the pioneer Hose Company on North Centre Street between Henry and Frederick Streets. On October 9, 1868, at a congregational meeting, they decided to re-organize and did so under the name of Trinity Independent Methodist Church. Reverend Harris was elected pastor. At a meeting in November, 1868, the building of a church was discussed. On April 3, 1869, a lease was taken on a lot 63 x 76 1/2 feet at the corner of South Centre and Union Streets. Soon work was begun to build a church. On Wednesday, August 18, 1869, the cornerstone was laid amid great joy and pomp, under the auspices of the Masonic Brotherhood. In March, 1871, Reverend Harris resigned. Reverend James Higgins was appointed Pastor. The church having fallen into strained circumstances, it was sold in 1876. The original owners of the lot, Frederick Minke, his wife, and the Trustees of Trinity Church, sold their interest to the Christ Reformed Episcopal Church in March,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976